With the right strategies, you can transform a small apartment into a more spacious, functional, and inviting living environment. Transformation involves a combination of design choices, organisational strategies, and clever decor tricks. We take a closer look at 10 ways to achieve this:
Let’s Lighten Things Up
The first step to making a small apartment more functional and luxurious in look and feel is to change some visual elements starting with the colour(s). A lighter colour palette and an airy feel will inadvertently make even small spaces feel roomier.
01. Lighten the Color Palette:
- Opting for light-colored walls, such as whites, pastels, or neutrals, will reflect light and make rooms appear larger.
- Coordinating furniture and decor in similar tones will create a cohesive and spacious look.
- On the contrary, darker colours can make make a room feel smaller
02. Incorporate Light and Airy Accessories and Design Elements:
- Much like lighter colours, choosing lighter decor items with a light and airy aesthetic, such as open-weave baskets, light fabrics, or minimalist artwork will help to open up the space.
- Introducing greenery or potted plants to bring life into the space while adding a sense of freshness.
03. Choose the Right Window Treatments:
- Use sheer curtains or blinds that allow natural light to filter through while maintaining privacy.
- Avoid heavy drapes or dark-colored curtains that can make the space feel smaller.
It’s Time to Divide and Conquer
Separating elements strategically in a small space (i.e. creating space between them) will result in the optical illusion of being in a larger space. Here are a few pointers on how to do just that:
04. Create Zones:
- Define separate areas for different activities, such as living or lounge areas, workspaces, or dining spaces, using rugs or furniture placement.
- In particular, use area rugs to delineate zones while adding texture and visual interest.
05. Opt for Open Shelving:
- Consider open shelving in the kitchen or living areas to display items without closing off space.
- Arrange items neatly and avoid overloading shelves to maintain a spacious feel.
06. Maximise Vertical Spaces:
- Install tall shelves or bookcases to draw the eye upward and make use of wall space.
- Use vertical storage solutions like hanging organizers, hooks, or pegboards.
Functional Furniture and Smart Accessories
07. Strategically Accessorise with Mirrors:
- Place mirrors opposite windows to reflect natural light and make the space feel brighter.
- Consider mirrored furniture or decor accents to add depth and openness.
08. Optimise Furniture Selection:
- Opt for smaller pieces of furniture where possible. Furniture that is too large for a space will look out of place and make the space appear crowded and even smaller
- Choose multi-functional furniture, such as a sofa bed, or an ottoman with storage inside.
- Use transparent or leggy furniture (with visible legs) that allows light to pass through and creates an airy feel.
09. Utilise Reflective Surfaces:
- Incorporate glass, metal, or reflective decor elements, like a glass coffee table or metallic accents, to bounce light and create a sense of openness.
Keep It Clean and Orderly
We know that life can get busy and it is all too easy to become a little lazy and simply not put things in their proper place. This can be the kryptonite to creating a great place within a small apartment space. As such, our final tip is simply:
10. Declutter Regularly:
- Keep surfaces clear and organized. Use storage bins, baskets, or decorative boxes to store items out of sight.
- Limit decorative objects to a few key pieces that bring joy and avoid overcrowding.